Good Book Readin'!

Here is were I will be reviewing a variety of comic books in my own inimitable style. Which hopefully is good.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

These guys can go. The puppets convinced me.

Countdown #38

I love the Deep Six. Those guys are awesome. Unfortunately, every time they appear in a comic they get killed. I guess them's the breaks. Hey, maybe DC's just killing the New Gods so they can bring 'em back as zombies. Kids love zombies. In other news, the "History" of the Multiverse is finally done. I think that might make this my favourite issue of Countdown yet. Or perhaps it makes the next issue my favourite . . .



Green Lantern #22

Ya know, I always dug the Green Lantern Corps. I mean, Green Lantern is cool enough on his own, but to have thousands of nutty alien counterparts? That's tough to beat. And now they've all got more nutty alien evil counterparts? Glorious! Sadly, a lot of our boys (and gals) are getting offed these days, but I'm sure that's just to pave the way for more nutty aliens. Anyhow, the point is that the Sinestro Corps War is so exciting, fun, and dramatic that I don't even know what else to say about it. Not only does it have an Anti-Monitor (who is way cooler than any regular Monitor), but it even manages to make Cyborg-Superman awesome. That's a really difficult accomplishment, and deserving of high praise indeed. One small quibble: Shouldn't Kyle-Parallax's energy constructs be all yellow? Seeing as how Ion got yanked outta him there. And Hal makes a mention of his yellow beams. I'm looking at you, Moose Baumann. We're still pals, but don't think my high praise last week gives you license to get sloppy.



X-Factor #22

This here is a good book. Unfortunately, I think in order to enjoy it you not only have to have read every previous issue, but also any previous X-book by Peter David, as well as most of David Hine's X-work, and House of M, and God only knows what else. Which is a shame, since I don't think most people have done that. And the double shame is that David's doing such a good job using all of that material. And Pablo Raimondi's art just keeps getting top-notcher all the time. How about you give it a try anyhow, and if you don't understand something, just ask me. I like this book a lot; I'm willing to lend a hand. Bonus Review: Hey, there's an Endangered Species back-up! Well, I'm a big fan of the Beast! And I like Mike Carey! And Mike Perkins, as well! Too bad this whole story is dead boring and long and scattered to the four corners of the world. Feel free to yawn now. PS - Does Dark Beast really call himself Dark Beast? Because that's dumb. It is, in fact, so dumb that it makes regular dumb look like Nikola Tesla multiplied by Albert Einstein.

Fables #64

Hey, we got a guest artist here, and he's quite good! I'm rather sure I've never heard of Aaron Alexovich before, but he's got a really fun style. Like if a Phillip Bond comic was making out with My Faith in Frankie, and then someone took a picture of it with Rick Geary's camera. Delightful! Meanwhile, the book's story continues to entertainingly build to something I bet's gonna be big-time big. You heard it here first. I assume.

Daredevil #99

There's so much good about Daredevil right now I hardly even know what to say. So I'll just say these things: Ox. Montana. Fancy Dan. Yep! It's the Enforcers! It makes me giddy to see those guys show up in even the lousiest of comics, so I'm glad there's no glee-o-meter in my home. It just would've busted when I read this, getting mercury or some crud all over the place. Ed Brubaker is great. More on that in a moment.

Casanova #8

I've been loving this book from the get-go, and I'm so glad to have it back. I also somehow missed the fact that artist Gabriel B· has been replaced by his twin brother F·bio Moon on the book. Which was a little jarring at first. However, by the end of page one I was thrilled with the change. Make no mistake, I really dug B·'s work, but I think I might dig Moon just a little bit more. His work has a similar personality, and is just as kinetic, but his thick, languid brushwork lends everything a nice weight, and somehow makes it all seem just a little more alive. Not to mention his sketchwork in the back, which is brilliant. And if I ever find myself missing Gabriel B·, I'll still have Umbrella Academy, to which I am greatly looking forward at. My one qualm with the art is Moon's choice in blues, which may just be a titch too intense. It makes my eyes vibrate more than I'm used to. As for the writing, Matt Fraction continues along at a frantic pace, throwing delicious make-'em-ups at us willy-nilly as his story picks up, packs up, and takes off. I don't know where it's going, I'm not sure Fraction knows where it's going, and I'm probably more than a little confused, but that's why I love that zany Casanova. He's never, ever boring. Go now and check out the gorgeous hardcover. It's like eating the world's wildest peach.

Criminal #8

Remember how Ed Brubaker is great? Here it is. I can't say more, just read it. Then you'll also get to see Sean Phillips produce possibly the finest work of his distinguished career. I've been a fan for some long time now, and still can't even put a point on what makes his Criminal art so damn good. I can only assume it's got just a little extra heart and soul than, say, Marvel Zombies or any other decent bill-payer. This is the work that leaves no doubt that the artist really, truly cares about what he's doing. Beautiful.

Batman #667

Some artists care, and some are just lunatics. I'm becoming convinced J.H. Williams maybe a dangerous hybrid of both. I'd also forgotten that he'll draw any the hell way he damn pleases. Throughout this issue I see characters in the style of Rude, Cassaday, Sprouse, Chaykin, McGuiness, Gibbons . . . Williams ain't just great, he's got great taste! And while he may have toned down a little on the designiness of his pages, he's far from left it behind. He's just holding onto it like a concealed weapon to be unleashed on the unsuspecting. Pow! And that gives you pages 16 and 17. He simply can't make a non-incredible looking comic book. Which goes very nicely with Grant Morrison, who more than ever just grabs classic and modern sensibilities and mashes hem together like grapefruit and a face. Only less painful and demeaning. Absolutely fantastic, I eat it up like a spoon.

8 Comments:

At Saturday, August 11, 2007 at 3:25:00 PM GMT-6, Blogger Mirco said...

that blue guy reminds me of the ram man from he man. that is all.

 
At Friday, September 14, 2007 at 1:49:00 PM GMT-6, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The decision was made early on that Kyle-Lax's energy would remain green, just the same as Hal/Parallax years ago. Not sloppyness, my friend. Continuity.


MOOSE!!!

 
At Tuesday, November 11, 2008 at 2:24:00 AM GMT-6, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.

 
At Monday, November 17, 2014 at 8:17:00 PM GMT-6, Blogger oakleyses said...

ugg soldes, celine handbags, nike trainers, new balance outlet, beats headphones, valentino shoes, reebok shoes, mac cosmetics, canada goose outlet, asics shoes, ugg outlet, ghd, marc jacobs outlet, north face outlet, herve leger, ugg, canada goose, vans outlet, insanity workout, ferragamo shoes, soccer shoes, ugg boots, wedding dresses, rolex watches, roshe run, p90x workout, uggs outlet, birkin bag, north face jackets, abercrombie and fitch, mcm handbags, giuseppe zanotti, longchamp, soccer jerseys, bottega veneta, nike huarache, hollister, mont blanc pens, babyliss pro, chi flat iron, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, jimmy choo shoes, instyler ionic styler, lululemon outlet, uggs on sale, nfl jerseys

 
At Friday, February 17, 2017 at 7:11:00 AM GMT-6, Blogger Unknown said...


I like it when people come together and share ideas.
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/company-spraying-pesticides-anti-insects-in-al-madina.html
http://www.prokr.net/2016/09/spraying-pesticides-anti-insects-company-in-yanbu.html

 
At Wednesday, November 13, 2019 at 3:56:00 AM GMT-6, Blogger بروكر said...


I definitely love this site.
http://prokr.over-blog.com/
http://prokr2020.angelfire.com/prokr2020/
https://sites.google.com/view/prokr2020
https://www.prokr.net/ksa/jeddah-water-leaks-detection-isolate-companies/

 
At Wednesday, February 3, 2021 at 4:03:00 PM GMT-6, Blogger seocom said...


سباك بجدة
من مميزات سباك بجدة أنه يستطيع أن يلصق الأنابيب بالتسخين لتصبح انبوب واحد ولايوجد توصيل واضح من الخارج ولا يمكن تسريب المياه من منطقة الإلتحام ولايمكن تعريضها للشمس فهي تحتاج لمتخصص بعملية لصق الأنابيب بطريقة ممتازة ومن المشكلات التى تواجه السباك بطء مدة إلصاق الأنابيب ببعضها أو عدم رؤية الأعطال بالعين في مكان إلصاق الأنابيب تواصل معنا الآن ولا تتردد .

 
At Wednesday, April 28, 2021 at 12:42:00 PM GMT-6, Blogger ahmed deraz said...

خدمات ابو ظبى – بيت العز
شركة تنظيف شقق ابوظبى
شركات تنظيف المنازل ابوظبى

 

Post a Comment

<< Home